Construction Project Manager
Houston, TX or Denver, CO
Job # 20210125001
Skyler Design Build, LLC (“Skyler”) is currently looking to fill a Project Manager role that incorporates many hats including business development, site/general superintendent, and project management.
This position focuses on development of new work and core-project management skills, with an emphasis on managing commercial and medical construction activities. Daily interaction with clients, project teams, employees, vendors, and subcontractors will provide a unique opportunity to wear several hats during the conception through construction of a project. Individual will process and distribute construction documents, provide field oversight and labor, manage health and safety, accountable for work processes, manage field paperwork, work through management of change process for all design changes, develop proposals and estimates, and other clerical and administrative tasks. This may include client meetings, liaison between Skyler and client ownership, updating the project drawings and specifications, managing requests for information, pay applications, submittals, health and safety items, and close out documents.
On the business development side, candidate will be accountable for retaining existing accounts and growing business while maintaining strong and trusting partnerships with clients. Performs business development and marketing activities including planning and strategy for a specifically assigned client/customer or market segment. Position is highly visible to existing and potential clients and requires the ability to influence/persuade. Locates business opportunities with new and existing customers by building long-term business relationships with key decision makers. Quality of effort greatly impacts corporate image and revenue stream. Develops and facilitates the proposal process for specific clients including budget and pricing development, proposal writing, and client presentations. Assists in the contract negotiation process.
On the estimating side, individual will be responsible for breaking out each component of project, providing takeoff packages, soliciting vendor and subcontractor input, verifying fabrication and delivery ability, providing alternative solutions, identifying areas of concern, detailed cost breakdown, bid package, project and management buy off on proposal approach and cost, including assemble of preliminary project schedule. Upon award identify and provide three or four qualified bidders, setup qualified bidder interviews, verify architect and owner selections and signoff, and project turnover packages to project execution and management team.
On the field side, candidate will work directly with the project superintendent and management team conducting field inspections of system installation, developing, and updating construction schedules, learning how to build complex mechanical and electrical systems, learning how to build and maintain medical containment’s and ICRA, conducting daily health and safety meetings, attending project meetings, documenting, and quoting field changes, managing craft and trades, and updating redlines. On the technical side, you will support and assist with project and equipment inspections, vendor coordination, redlines, equipment startup, commissioning document control, and supporting the commissioning process.
• Develop opportunities with new client projects.
• Identify potential customers and make cold calls that result in meetings and convert prospects into actual sales.
• Establishes goals and objectives, and strategies for developing new business while maintaining previous client relationships.
• Develop both new and existing accounts and expand business through face-to-face contact with the customers.
• Maintains a customer/prospect database that contains the names, addresses and actual phone numbers of actual and prospective accounts as well as all of the names of the officers and key office and field personnel that represent these customers/prospects. Regularly uses and maintains customer/prospect database.
• Develops and leads effective management, communication and tracking processes, and implements Client Relationship Management (CRM) strategies supporting Sector client goals.
• Execute the growth strategy, which is includes client outreach, industry participation, positioning for opportunities, submission of proposals, development of project scopes and fees, project/program management and leadership, staff recruiting, staff leadership and successful project execution.
• Develop pre-construction and construction RFP packages.
• Develop process and procedures, training guides, health and safety programs, field logs and protocols.
• Prepares estimates for potential projects, using hard-bid, design-build, and conceptual estimating.
• Reads and understands contract documents (plans, specifications & addenda).
• Assist or lead in bidding process.
• Assist or lead in material takeoffs.
• Assist or lead in material management and inventory.
• Assist or lead in creating and managing a project budget.
• Establish job processes (RFIs, submittals, and pay applications) including approving pay applications and negotiating subcontract change orders.
• Ensure that required project documentation is submitted in accordance with the project schedule. • Assist or manage in conducting project meetings, setting milestones, and formulating monthly owner report.
• Update project schedule; ensure project quality control and establish overall project logistics.
• Track and coordinate equipment deliveries.
• Review vendor submittals.
• Collaborate with the project team and site operations team throughout the life of the project.
• Assist or manage in developing a critical path schedule.
• Maintain adherence to Skyler’s standards of safety and lead safety meetings and training.
• Assist or manage Skyler, Owners, Subcontractors and Vendors to provide conflict resolution for Project issues.
• Assist or manage in coordinating and managing the quality control process for all scoped systems.
• Assist or manage in coordinating and tracking critical path construction activities.
• Assist or manage in managing startup and pretesting of mechanical and electrical systems.
• Assist or manage coordinating and supporting third party commissioning activities.
• Assist or manage commissioning documentation.
• Assist or develop the closeout process and package.
• Actively participates in professional and/or industrial organizations to promote the Skyler brand.
Represents and promotes Skyler at networking events, professional and industrial associations, society meetings, conferences, and tradeshows.
• Visits job sites as required.
• Continually builds product knowledge.
• Results oriented and self-motivated, excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Develop working processes.
• Perform analysis and interpret results into actionable steps.
• Effective information gathering, presentation and cross functional skills.
• Strong organizational skills and hardworking attitude.
• High school diploma required, four-year degree from an accredited university within construction, engineering, business concentrations, or engineering is strongly preferred.
• 15 years’ experience in commercial construction, including experience with a commercial general contractor, or experience in medical/hospital construction preferred.
• Previous sales and business development experience.
• Previous estimating and superintendent or project management experience on commercial job sites, mission critical construction, and hospital construction strongly preferred.
• Passion for construction and our industry; ability to recognize and seek quality.
• Tactful administrative skills to monitor the progress and coordination of work activities; keeps other members of the organization informed of progress and problems.
• Results oriented and self-motivated.
• Effective information gathering, presentation and cross functional skills.
• Strong organizational establishing priorities and a course of action for handling multiple tasks.
• Effective management and leadership skills to establish techniques that proactively monitor and supervise the work of subordinates and follow up on the results of delegated assignments.
• Maintains integrity including normal standards of ethics, conduct, and organizational policies in job-related activities.
• Coaches and mentors staff as it relates to the development of key clients for the business.
Effectively provides feedback to ensure effective CRM practices are implemented and maintained. This is a lifetime opportunity for individuals who are driven, passionate and looking to be challenged in their leadership and career development.
• Ability to master sector/project-specific software systems including but not limited to: Microsoft Office suite (i.e., Project, Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Visio, Access, etc.), Adobe, ProCore, Adobe, BlueBeam, JD Edwards, ISQFT, OneTeam, CAD, Sage Intacct, and SolidWorks
• Ability to complete construction activities and lift at least 100-lbs
• Willingness to travel local and nationwide
• Full-Time: Salary, car or car allowance, 401K, medical, FSA/HSA, bonuses
• Shift Type: Will vary based on position and project
• Location: Houston, TX or Denver, CO
Skyler Design Build, LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Skyler embraces federal employment guidelines regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action. It is the policy of Skyler to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees. Skyler is an affirmative action employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status in any condition of employment including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, training and promotion.
Send resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org